Friday, March 27, 2009

For Jacob

Okay, Jacob, this is for you.
School has been keeping me very busy. My classes for the most part are not difficult, but do requier a lot of time outside of class. I go to the testing center on campus at least 2 times a week, and the library much more often. I exhaust myself. The hardest thing about this semester is the way my schedule was set up. I have an early 7:45 am class every day of the week (except Monday) and then a break until 3 or 4pm depending on the day. My first intention was to get a job and work during these hours, but finding a job here is close to hopeless. I also have a night class from 7- 8:30 pm twice a week...its an english class. I have always loved english/writing, but it can be tricky to stay focused on what is being taught. My teacher graduated from college last year, this is his first year teaching and we are his only class. A benefit of having a youngster as a teacher is that he can relate to us and us to him, however, we start class 20 min late usually (easily distracted by Canadian hockey, Angry Woppers from Burger King etc) but also, once we do start class we have the most powerful class discusions. I have actually started to enjoy arguing and debating. 

I mentioned earlier how hard it is to find a job here. Most of the kids here rely on their parents to pay for (almost) everything. But I am very independent and want to at least attempt to support myself the best I can. I have learned how to budget, and still eat healthy. I have filled out application after application and seems like I've used more printer paper for resumes than I have for essays. I've done everything in my power believe it or not. Finally, I was called in for an interview at Maleleuca, a call center here. I have heard many grand things about it. I went in for that interview, met with four different people, all of them asking the same, or similiar questions (I felt as if my first answers had not been good enough... but kept my answers consistent just the same) I was under the heat for over an hour and a half. Every time one person would pass me to another, I'd wipe my palms on the side of my grey dress pants and take a deep silent breath. Finally they let me go- I walked out the glass, expensive door and breathed in the brisk morning air. I was so grateful my roommate had let me drive her car. It is a long walk from colonial house (my apt) to Maleleuca, especially in windy-snow and high heels. Maleleuca called me less than a week later, and set up an appointment for another interview for me (which was today) I was lucky enough (and surprised, although I maybe shouldn't have been...) to have met with the manager of the company. He was a really nice guy,but I still felt intimataded, and tried to hide it. I think it went over really well. Either I will get a letter in the mail being denied, or I will get a phone call being accepted. It is so ridiculously hard trying to be patient. This job determines a lot; where I'll be living next semester. my class schedule. whether or not I'll go home in the fall. etc etc etc. After my interview, I decided to go buy a shirt, which was on sale for $5 at Down East. It is the first item of "fun" or besides a food item- that I have boughten here so far, and I thought it was a good deal, and to go for it, just to celebrate. 

and now for my social life-my 6 stalkers are starting to calm down a bit thank heavens!!! the guy from math got jealous after I went on a hot date with another guy- he wrote me a harsh email, and ended it- which was fine with me....(.....my roommates and I actually celebrated....) my home teacher is still persistent, but i've noticed that on Sundays he makes his rounds, not just to my apt but to nearly all the rest. he wanted me to go play volleball with him and some other friends I know of his, I had been planning on just making it an early night and told him "sorry,but no" but I did agree to going to his place and sharing his homemade enchildas with him and his roommates/my other hometeacher...I'm excited for a little variation outside of my meal plan of spaghetti, chicken, potatoes, fried rice, cookies, mac n cheese and ramen. (I do eat other things, but only on special occasions....) 

Last weekend i went on probably one of the funnest dates ever- we had a Nerf war in a 2 story HUGE work office, it had a couple staircases, lots of rooms, 2 kitchens, hidden passage ways and tricky doors...so we turned out the lights and were content plalying for over 3 hours straight. There were 6 players total, so it was 3 on 3. Joseph won every round. Afterwards, the guys took us to Dairy Queen, the only place open after 11pm in Rexburg on a Friday night. Even Walmart and McDonalds close around 9pm every day. Rexburg would be boring without crazy teenage..er...i mean adult guys with vivid imaginations. I ordered the Brownie Earthquake something or other, and had everyone in the car completely jealous. It was a really fun night. Since then, he and I talk on the phone, actually we havnt even passed a single text, which is perty impressive now days when it comes to dating. I was taken by surprised when he called me this afternoon, asking how my interview went when I had barely mentioned it a day and a half before. He asked where I was from, and I said "Oregon, mostly Eugene area." and days later he remembered that I had noted it was only Eugene AREA and that I was more specifically from Springfield- no one here remembers those details. So, If I do get this job, he'll be among the first to know for sure and we're celebrate. 

I love having a temple so close here. Its right off campus, practically on campus actually. I can actually see it from my apt- its on a hill. since I'm on the 3rd level, I'm among the few rooms who can see it from their bedroom windows- I love it. I'm actually going to do baptisms there tomorrow morning with Jessie and Keshia. (and maybe after that go shopping with them and Jessie's mom in IF/Blackfoot) 

The weather here is crazy. last weekend it was pretty warm here, about 40 or 50 degrees... (since the altitude is different, even 30 degrees people go jacketless here- even me, and I have always been cold year-round, even in the summer when theres a slight breeze I'd wear a jacket....but here its no problemo. When Taylor Daley came to visit up here, he was freezing and it was only 40, i guess it takes some gettin used to the weather here, but I think I skipped that part.) anyway- back to my weather report- one day it was warm, 50 degrees ish- and the next it snowed, hailed, rained (and not just speckles... it POURED... like oregon rain!!! one thing about Idaho rain, which I love by the way, is that it smells like wet pavement. It reminds me of the oregon coast. I got some friends together and we had a good time playing in it, although mostly everyone else thought we were insane.) it also gets ridiculously windy here, just once the wind actually blew me over- since then, I carry a text book with me at all times to prevent that- its kinda embarrassing....

Last night, my neighbor recieved her mission call, she is going to Uraguay, same mission as a guy in my ward and cousin Bryan (actually Bryan knew Zach from their missions) Zach is the dude in my ward- one of my closest friends from our ward actually. She asked me to come over and see her open it. It was one of the best memories here so far.I attempted to make brownies, but my oven still has issues apparently...so it actually turned into the Brownie Earthquake stuff like what I had from Dairy Queen- we just put it over ice cream and added pieces of snickers and it was delicious. (I got a lot of compliments from it, I wish I knew how to make the same mistake again...)So Rachel leaves in July and I told her I'd be there to see her off. Zach and I are also going to put on a Uraguan dinner for her. Make a special traditional dish from there to celebrate with. They eat a lot of beef there. Also my buddy Joe got his mission call a while back to Tampa, FL- he's leaving in May. I am definitely going to miss him, I go to his place on a weekly basis. Also, another friend Greg will be leaving soon. Ah, good times, good times. This is why I'm hoping to stay here through out the year. But I do look forward to seeing y'all in June!!!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

by the way- i'll post some pix here soon :D