Sunday, May 9, 2010

Oh RATS!!! ...dead ones...

Do rats have eyelids?

Lately, we've been doing yard work. Especially on the nice sunny days (we clean indoors on the days it snows...and yes, we did just get snow earlier this week and expecting more later this week- great isnt it? Yes.) So far Loreena and I have gotten a lot done- and Allen is a huge help too. If Loreena and I can't lift something, or pull something- no doubt Allen can. He's can get pretty intimidating..makes it look so easy. Anyway. In the front yard, there are some gorgeous rocks and over the past 3 years, leaves and branches and grass etc has accumulated over these rocks, and under a small flock of trees (flock? anyway...) this area, provides a perfect abode for huge, nasty, silvery RATS!!! So gross. As we were clearing away some bushes, Ivy, and leaves around and in front of the rocks we could hear the rats scampering around in the bushes, and sometimes squeal...

So, in order for us to progress with this large project of ours- Rat poison was laid out for them. Now we just have to look out for dead rats and pick them up as we notice them along the way. Yuck!!

The first dead rat I officially noticed was Sunday. While walking home from church, with a lot on my mind...walking next to that line of gorgeous rocks bordering the yard, I came THIS close (which, was by the way..really close to stepping right on top of a dead rat with my high heel. I froze and stared. Why? I don't know. But to answer the question first asked on this blog post. YES Rats do indeed have eye lids. There the rat lay. Huge. Disgusting. On the sidewalk....and as I stood there staring at it, basically entranced with fear- another fat FAT rat jumped out at me and scared me twice to death (you know, instead of half to death, twice to death...) I had been leaving a voicemail at the time for my family- they probably have record of my reaction :/

On Monday I met Tiny Tim. He was (yes, was) a baby rat who lived outside my window. He kept me up all night by squeaking and running up and down my window, in and out of leaves- he was a cute little thing. He even touched his nose to the window glass a couple times.

Today, while Loreena and Christian were jumping on the trampoline- Loreena noticed a rat, thinking it was dead she poked it- just to make sure. However- it was not dead...but looked as if it would be soon. It was the mamma rat- HUGE!! Later in the evening- Allen went out to make a record of how many rats are currently dead...he noticed Tiny Tim was a goner, and as he went to shovel him out of my window area, the almost dead mamma rat leaped out at him, and was jumping around and "charging" Allen- so, not knowing how else to defend himself, and all the crazy gross diseases rats spread; Allen took the shovel and...killed mrs. mamma (I'll spare you the descriptive details...I wish Allen had left those out when he relayed the story to us :/ )

Also...rats are cannibals. They eat their own kind. I have learned that rats particularly eating eyeballs first...it's kinda sickening...if I'd had the choice, I think I'd prefer to have not learned that.

Oh yes- and for some exciting news:
* I have a new church calling
* Loreena and I are starting the P90X work out system
* I got a job...or rather three...one of those three was by mistake-funny story for some other time

1 comment:

Lanette said...

YUCK!!! I would hate to have rats all over. Gross gross gross! Tell us about your calling and jobs?