I ended up deciding to stay here in Rexburg this last weekend, instead of going to Provo. So, I found some friends to hike "R" Mountain and listen to conference from the top. I had to work 9-4 on Saturday, so we settled on hiking up Sunday before the first session. However, it ended up just being Kenny, a co-worker- and me. The rest wanted to stay in town and enjoy free conference brunches and late lunches and desserts (can't say I blame them...especially after the unexpected blizzard all day Saturday.) So this morning, Kenny and I set off- expecting to climb the steep 3 mile mountain in inches of snow and having tarps packed and ready to set up a shelter from a snow storm/ wind. It was a tough hike up, Kenny hadn't eaten breakfast beforehand, so he threw up in the end :/ but I had a good time. We didn't end up needing any tarps- but I'm glad we at least were prepared. I loved listening to Elder Uchtdorf's talk, his was among one of the most touching- I was reminded of many things I want to change within myself. I was able to relate with and apply his words to my current life. I felt the spirit strongly as I listened, and admired my view of the valley below me. Someday, when I have a family- I'd like to make it a tradition to go hiking and listen to one of the Saturday sessions of General Conference. It was a great experience, and totally worth it.
I am packed and ready to move to Ogden- I still have a few more days of work left, but I am so ready for a new environment. Last weekend I went down for another visit- mostly to attend a service project with the Utah Special Olympics (which, by the way was a TON of fun!!! I helped run a cross country skiing course, stood at a specific checkpoint, cheered each athlete on and made sure they knew which way to go etc...it was a blast!!!) I was also very surprised to see how intense snow shoeing relays can get- snow was flying EVERYWHERE!!! I have made it a priority to help with the special olympics in the future- hopefully this summer (if my work schedule makes it possible) I met a large group of people from my singles ward- many of them I'm already friends with. I met even more people on Sunday. I had a blind date Saturday night with my next door neighbor, which went very well. He and I both were very comfortable, and couldn't stop laughing and talking with each other. I look forward to these next few months.
Photos Taken In China:
*Above: 2 People wadding*
*Above: Yellow Mountain*As far as an update on China- I spoke with Jacob, the director of ChinaHorizons on Thursday night. We spoke in detail about my plans and expectations etc- (he told me it was very "refreshing" to speak to me, and that most applicants don't seem to be as informed and realistic as to what to expect and that I seemed to be ready to further prepare myself for the huge changes/differences that China and this experience as a whole will offer me-it was encouraging to hear that, and now I'm even more anxious to leave) Jacob also mentioned possibly having me leave a month early, sometime in August as part of a new experiment. I'm not sure exactly when the new date of departure would be, and I may decide to turn down that offer and leave mid September as originally planned. I'm just going to take things as they come.
Hope everyone has a Happy Easter!! I am so grateful for my knowledge of the gospel, and for the hope it offers. I am so glad I can turn to my Heavenly Father for direction and support as he lovingly guides me through life. I know he wants me to be happy, and I try daily to maintain faith in Him and notice His tender mercies. I am excited for these next few months and years and all they will have to offer me!! Isn't life grand?
3 comments:
I never knew that's what China looked like. It is so pretty! I kinda wanna go there now.
China is pretty much amazing- for more reason than one. Who knows, maybe someday you'll have the chance to go yourself and eat yourself some pig brain and chicken feet :)
Yeah! You're now in Ogden. Enjoy the family time. Love ya.
Post a Comment