Sunday, April 18, 2010

"Staying on the Sunny Side of Life...." Hum Hum Doodalee Doo

Today was my first day in my new singles ward. ITS HUGE!!! About 289 of us there. Just like any student ward at BYU-Idaho or Provo etc there were many different classes to choose from; 3 different Relief Societies, 3 Priesthoods, either 4 or 5 total Sunday Schools (either Gospel Doctrine, Temple Prep all of those...) Every Sunday I have tried attending a new class, but this being my first "official" first Sunday (Last week I went to the family ward with Allen and Loreena) I had to make a decision on which RS I wanted to join...that sounds weird...and yes, I had a choice- which I wasn't used to. I have met a few girls in each, but decided to stick with the one I attended today. I also had to choose an FHE group, which are all random. There are 3 GIGANTIC groups...it's gonna be crazy, but I think I'll like the change from the small "family" FHE groups they practiced in Rexburg. More people to meet...I'm more comfortable in large, casual groups anyway (I always felt kinda strange with a small FHE group, but that was just my experience.)

Thursday night was lovely, so I went on a walk around the neighborhood. I found my way to the church, a good 15 min walk or so (haven't quite timed it yet) and had showed up right in time for Institute apparently. Actually I was a little late but the Bishop shrugged that off. Institute was awesome, a ton of people showed up. I knew it'd be like any religion class I've taken, but wasn't sure what the turn out would be since it was a week day evening and I assumed most kids just took institute classes on campus at Weber State. After they had a social complete with pizza and drinks. One guy even counted how many pieces I ate...I guess it impressed him?

Saturday morning Allen, Loreena and the two kids packed up and left for the weekend to visit her sister for a baby blessing. I stayed here and although it was weird to not have any kids to play with, after I found things to do with my time I ended up enjoying a sunny and warm morning and afternoon outside on a blanket reading and watching ants. (My neighbor has a HUGE collection of books and recommended some to me, so I've gone over a couple times to return and borrow new ones.) My legs got a tad burnt, but are now mostly tan. It was so relaxing. I also did some laundry, cleaned the bathroom and some of the kitchen (just dishes and sweeping etc)

Saturday night I met up with Brian, a friend of Kellie's I met last summer- he's been graduated from college a couple years and is working in Ogden/ SLC. He introduced me to a small group of friends and we all went to see "Arise and Shine Forth" at the Weber campus. It was awesome. Our group had a lot of fun singing along, and teasing each other and immediately felt comfortable with each other. The folk dancers in one portion of the show performed a Chinese traditional dance, which I was later tested on. I have to say, I remembered more of it than I thought I would. After the concert, we got some pizza and ice cream, socialized more and then sang karaoke the rest of the night. It was a blast.

I got home exhausted but wasn't in the mood to sleep yet- so I sat and watched Julie and Julia through the instant Netflix stream thing. Nifty technology. I then started reading again and didn't go to bed until after 4am. I have church at 9am (I love early church) and was quite impressed at how restful I felt. Even after coming home, eating lunch...I still don't feel tired enough for a nap...who would have thought I could function so well on 4 hrs of sleep. I don't plan on taking advantage of it very often, sleep is good I've found.

As for the rest of my week, I just helped with kids and turned in job applications. Cross your fingers for me- I am very hopeful and excited to start working full time again, soon!

2 comments:

Lorinda said...

Yeah! It sounds great and it must be fun having a group of friends already. Enjoy!

Lanette said...

How fun! And I just have to say, not all student wards in Provo have multiple relief societies, elders quorums etc. ALL of the singles wards I was ever in had just one of each, so...just fyi =)My freshman RS had almost 200 girls! If there are more than 90 guys in an elders quorum, I think, then they have to split it, so the family ward we're in now has 2...anyway...probably more facts than you wanted to know. Big FHE groups sound like a fun idea. That's how Springfield's singles ward did it, and I loved it. Anyway, I'm so glad you're having fun, making friends, etc. Love you!